Newsday Tuesday – The Cat’s Passport

Last week we talked about traveling with cats. One thing you will need in some cases when you’re moving with your cat across state lines, flying with your cat, or just taking your adventuresome cat on vacation, is documentation for the cat. Different states require different documentation and it generally involves health records.

In order to fly, cats generally need a certificate from a veterinarian stating that the cat is up-to-date on her rabies and FVRCP vaccines and otherwise in good health.

Speaking of flying with your cat, here’s a site that offers up some facts you might want to peruse. For example, who among us would allow their cat to ride with the luggage? You can take your cat with you into the cabin under certain conditions. This is good to know. and here’s another excellent site to check out. Here’s the site you need to look at if you intend traveling abroad:

Before traveling with your cat abroad or domestically, make sure to check the area where you’ll be traveling for their specific requirements. Some states will quarantine pets upon arrival. Hawaii is one of them. You probably don’t want to take your cat to Hawaii unless you plan to move there because the quarantine period can last as long as four months.

Here are some additional tips for traveling with your cat.

This entry was posted in About Cats, Cat travel. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *